An Ayurvedic Guide to Healthy Hair
People spend a lot of time and effort on hair care. Lustrous, long, shiny hair can make you feel and look like a million bucks! However, you might not always have the time and know the right ways to take care of your hair. We consume the ideal and balanced food and fortify our diet with multivitamins and yet hair loss, scalp irritation, dandruff, and hair thinning bugs most of us. Every time you see a bunch of your tresses tangling in the hairbrush or get irritated with your itchy scalp, you must have wondered if there is any natural solution for your hair woes.
You have to look for a product that promotes the natural health of the scalp and hair that will keep unwarranted hair issues like dandruff, premature graying, and hair loss at a bay. Apart from a healthy diet and lifestyle, what you need are hair care products that can promote the natural strength of your hair by nourishing them. Ayurvedic hair care products moisturize the scalp to promote optimal hair growth and strength with the aid of natural ingredients. Ayurvedic products from online stores like Kerala Ayurveda are based on formulations documented by sages, in ancient texts. These natural products contain rare herbal ingredients that are immensely helpful for your precious tresses, which is why many men and women are gravitating towards them.
Ayurveda and Hair Health
Before even understanding what hair care herbs and products are offered in Ayurveda, it is important to answer the question of what is Ayurvedic hair care. Ayurvedic hair care uses a holistic approach to help ensure hair health by focusing not just on herbal products but through a range of dietary and lifestyle changes that help promote healthy hair.
Ayurveda recognizes the importance of nutritious food and digestion for health. The digestive fire or Agni determines what effective digestion is. If Agni is weakened, then the body fails to receive the nutrients needed. Strong digestion ensures the hair is nourished. The food to be consumed should depend on the weather and the innate constitution or Prakriti of the individual.
Stress can seriously impact hair health. Stress causes many changes in the body and can lead to hair fall, premature greying, and other problems. Ayurveda recommends the practice of Yoga, meditation, and Pranayama to help cope and maintain stable mental health. This helps relax the mind and helps keep the body healthy.
Ayurveda recommends the use of therapies like Shirodhara (pouring warm herbal liquid on the forehead), Shiro Abhyanga (massage with warm herbal oils), and Shiro Lepa (use of an Ayurvedic paste on the scalp). These therapies can be very helpful in promoting healthy hair and maintaining optimal levels of the Doshas.
Ayurvedic Herbs for Hair
Ayurveda has many herbs that are beneficial for the hair. Some of these herbs have formed an integral part of traditional hair care routines from ancient times. These herbs are used in Ayurveda to improve hair health. Some leading Ayurvedic herbs for hair are:
- Bhringraj (Eclipta prostrata) is one of the most potent herbs that work on the hair roots to help promote the healthy growth of hair. It supports healthy and abundant hair growth, and hence is also known as Kesharaj or “king of the hair”. The benefits of this wondrous herb are the reason that it has been used since ancient times as the herbal hair care expert. It helps maintain the hair’s natural color and luster. It is a coolant that helps to calm the mind.
- Amalaki (Phyllanthus emblica) is rich in Vitamin C. Regular usage of Amalaki can help in maintaining the natural strength of the hair. It supports the normal digestive fire and maintains the natural health of the scalp. It has been traditionally used as a herbal support for hair health for premature graying as it is classified under “Vayasthapana” or anti-aging group in Ayurveda.
- Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri) is one of the Ayurvedic herbs for hair that supports normal hair growth by rejuvenating the scalp. It offers the additional benefit of helping calm the mind.
Ayurveda Products for Hair
Ayurveda has many traditional products for hair. These products include hair oils to be applied on hair, as well as capsules and pills to be taken orally to help keep the optimal levels of the Doshas in check. Some Ayurveda products for hair include:
- Neelibringadi Keram helps promote healthy hair growth and maintains the natural health of root hair.
- Kesini Oil helps nourish the scalp and hair roots and helps maintain the natural color and texture of hair.
- Eladi Thailam helps in the normal rejuvenation and nourishment of the scalp.
- Durvadi Keram helps promote hair and scalp health naturally.
- Durdurapathradi Keram helps soothe the scalp.
Chemparathyadi Keram helps maintain the strength and natural color of the hair.
How to Use Ayurvedic Hair Oils?
Using the right hair growth oil can help promote the growth of healthy hair. It is important to know how to use Ayurvedic hair oil in the right way to help improve hair health. For the best effect, you need to massage the hair growth oil Ayurveda recommends for healthy hair. This is how you can do it:
- Use the appropriate quantity of the hair oil (as recommended in the product or by a physician). Either pour the oil onto your palm or in a cup. Dip your fingers into the oil and massage your hair and scalp.
- Massage the scalp gently to cover the entire head. Massaging helps sustain a relaxed mind. Massage using a circular motion to help promote blood circulation in the scalp.
- Next, massage the oil on your hair completely.
- You need to leave the oil on your head for a minimum of thirty minutes to ensure it is completely absorbed. You can even apply it at night and leave it overnight.
- Wash your hair and scalp with warm water. You can use an Ayurvedic shampoo to clean the hair.
- Do this at least once a week.
How to Maintain Thick Hair through the Help of Ayurveda
If you were wondering how to get thick hair using Ayurvedic practices, then the following tips will give the answer to your question:
- Use a hair care Ayurveda product that is suitable for your hair type based on the Dosha. Vata-type hair is thin, coarse, and difficult to manage. Pitta-type hair is soft, straight, and moderately thick. Kapha-type hair is coarse, thick, strong, and shiny. Excess Vata causes the hair to become dry and fall out. Pitta aggravation or reduction causes premature greying and hair thinning. Excess Kapha makes hair oily and heavy.
- Using a hair oil and massaging your scalp with it regularly can help you maintain thick hair.
- Brushing your hair gently and regularly helps stimulate the scalp.
- Exercise and physical fitness help to open up pores on the scalp, thus helping in hair growth.
- A healthy diet that helps pacify the Dosha irregularity can also be helpful.
Ayurvedic care for hair helps ensure that your hair is healthy and nourished. Kerala Ayurveda’s lineup of soothing hair care products can help support hair health and take care of your gorgeous locks in a gentle and natural manner!